Starting point for new Center Release

The starting point for the first Center Release of the BBF should be

the last official Oberon Microsystems release (- 1.6 Final)
60%
Helmut Zinn's 1.7
20%
OberonCore's 1.6
10%
other
No votes
abstain
10%

Total votes: 10

Zinn

Re: Starting point for new Center Release

Post by Zinn »

Why do you have proplems about the name 1.7 (rc1)?
It is only numbering. You may call it whatever you like.

BB 1.7 (with or without rc1 - I don't care) is just a collection of the most useful changes for BB 1.6
I numbered it 1.7 because it is not object compatible with BB 1.6
You must recompile all modules with BB 1.7
If there will be no request then just delete rc1 and you have BB 1.7

So what? Would you like to reinvent the wheel and do all the changes ones again?
cfbsoftware

Post by cfbsoftware »

Zinn wrote:Why do you have proplems about the name 1.7 (rc1)?
It is only numbering. You may call it whatever you like.
I have no problems with the name as long as the name changes whenever any modification is made.

However, Release Candidate by definition usually means that the developer is not yet convinced that it is ready for release. What remains to be done before 1.7 RC1 becomes 1.7 Final?
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Because Rene edited the vote question the system reset the results, everybody should vote again. I switch on the public vote feature, If you want everybody can see you opinion. I think that it is important for better understanding each over.

I vote for Ominc 1.6, because think that each change will influence the stability of many applications and so should be well balanced. It can be achieved by the discussion and voting. I have seen, that it can work: http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... ?f=40&t=77
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

For now, 9 from 11 are voted. We have the quorum and 1.6 can be start point for developing and tracking the changes. I am not closing the vote and taking pause, because somebody can change the voice. There are only one voice difference, that is why we should be careful.

According this vote and the repository vote, we can upload this final 1.6 version in GitHub for public read access and set up Redmine in our server for open project tracking.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

I voted for ominc 1.6 as the starting point. The end point, however, should be Zinn 1.7 or very close to it. Please note that the starting point for Zinn 1.7 was also ominc 1.6. So this fits perfectly.

Josef
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

I just changed my vote based on Josef's comments.
By starting with ominc 1.6 we then 'bless' the process of moving toward Helmut's 1.7.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Now 10 of 11 members are voted. And seen, that one voice will not change the decision. We choose 1.6 as star point for new Center release. That means, that all changes made in Zinn version should be discussed before been applied in new Center release. I am closing the thread.