BlackBox CV of Bernhard Treutwein

Self-introduction of "Center" members and persons who applying for membership
Bernhard

BlackBox CV of Bernhard Treutwein

Post by Bernhard »

Born: 1953

Education: I studied crystallography, physics and medicine and graduated in physics and medicine. After 15 years of vision research at the Ludiwig-Maximilians-University of Munich, I switched (not very voluntarily) to the IT department of the University administration, where I am responsible for keeping several databases up and running as well as some other applications.

I learned programming with ALgol-60 around 1975, ported several programs (some of them quite large) from IBM and Borroughs mainframe computers to CDC mainframes. I had to use mixed language libraries to link Algol programs with Fortran/Assembler libraries. I switched to DEC PDP-11/LSI-11 minicomputers and Pascal in the early 1980ies and in the mid of the 1980ies to Modula-2. I programmed several real-time applications for controlling psychophysical experiments in visual perception in Modula-2. Also the statistical analysis of the result were done in M2.

My attempts to use Oberon in the early 1990ies were not very successful, but I watched out and found Dick Pountain's article in Byte 1995, which drew my attention to Oberon/F. Since then I am a happy user of Oberon/F and later Blackbox.

I initiated several Wikipedia pages about Oberon and Component Pascal and contributed what I know about it. Some time ago Marc Frei (OmiSys) made the complete source of Blackbox 1.3.2.2 for MacOS 7/8/9 available to me. I still have the hardware to use it, altough I do not really have much experience with MacOS. But having both, a compiler for a different CPU (68000) and a complete working implementation of the subsystem Host for a different OS might ease porting ... although I fear that I'll not have the time before retiring.