Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Merged to the master branch
Josef Templ

Re: Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Post by Josef Templ »

> 1 - In line 2 of Links & Targets it says "link resp. target". I don't like the abbreviation, so it would be better to say "link or respectively target". Actually it would be even better to simply say "link or target".

fixed

> 2 - The file name should be changed from "/Docu/LinksAndTargets" to something like "/Docu/Links-Dialog". The reason is so that it appears in a more suitable place when using the Repository Tool.

fixed.
I noticed that this also applies to the Tab dialog. TODO

3 - In line 3 replace "Text -> Show Marks." by Text -> Show Marks".

fixed

4 - Add a link to this Docu in "/Std/Docu/Sys-Map".

fixed

5 - "If you click the right mouse button on a link, a dialog is opened that allows for inspecting and editing the link's properties."
should be something like
"If you click the right mouse button on a link or target, a dialog is opened that allows for inspecting and editing the link or target's properties. This dialog is described more fully in <add link>".

Link added.
There is a problem with targets here.
The top part of the StdLinks docu deals only with links. Targets are introduced further below.
Mentioning targets here is too early unless the docu is reorganized completely, which I tried to avoid.
I have added a small refinement below where targets are introduced:

"... which are created in a similar way as link views."

changed to

"... which are created and handled in a similar way as link views."

6 - On the next line the phrase "The Target property contains ..." is confusing. Why call it a Target property for a link?

fixed. It is the "Link" property.

7 - A few lines later there is an explanation of using the menu option "Tools->Create Link", but this is no longer the preferred way of using this option.
Add:
<<A possibly simpler way to create this link is to enter, then select, the text "beep beep" (without the quotes), then use the menu option "Tools->Create Link"; then type into the "Link:" field "Dialog.Beep; Dialog.Beep" (without the quotes); then click "Apply". The blue coloring and underlining are applied automatically.>>.

fixed

8 - It would be helpful if it had a link to "/Std/Docu/Links".

This would mean to mix the user docu with the developer docu. IMHO, this should be avoided.

9 - It would be helpful to give examples of the placeholder "<pathAndName>". I am particularly thinking about both absolute and relative path examples, and of showing that the file name extension is not always (not often ?) required.

Examples are OK, I think. I have added some.
Replicating part of the docu of OpenBrowser etc. would be too much. Where does it stop?

See diffs at https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... 8b8293a5d3.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Since there has been widespread (3 center members responding to a non-center initiative; that is widespread in our small community!) interest in this feature I have taken the exceptional decision to change its embodiment date from version 1.7.2 to 1.7.1.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:I noticed that this also applies to the Tab dialog. TODO
Agree
8 - It would be helpful if it had a link to "/Std/Docu/Links".

This would mean to mix the user docu with the developer docu. IMHO, this should be avoided
Ok
Robert

Post by Robert »

Near the top of the last diff it says "menu item Text -> Show Marks".
Lower down it says "can be hidden/shown with Text>Show Marks".

The use of spaces is inconsistent, but a more curious issue is the invisible hyphen. I think that the BlackBox Docus use three different hyphens for documenting menu options; at least one of which is invisible in the "Find / Replace" tool.

If I cut-and-paste from the diff to an open BlackBox window the invisible hyphen turns into an open single quote.

(My memory tells me that I used to have a private tool that would tell me the ordinal value of a selected CHAR, but I must have lost it.)
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

The docu uses Unicode non-breaking hyphens for denoting menu items.
Those hyphens are dropped when converted to ascii as used by the redmine diff tool.
This would need an update of the doc-to-ascii mapping tool.
On one place a normal hyphen was used.

Since there are no ugly line breaks to be avoided in the StdLinks docu I have changed the hyphens to a normal "-" sign.

Also hidden/shown has been exchanged to shown/hidden.

See diffs at https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... 5548de4626.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

I have been using build 958 for a few days, and have just tried to install the latest build 961 to inspect that.
For the first time ever Windows defender refused to let me extract the zip file, even after I put it on the White list. I had to completely turn off "Real time virus protection".
This is getting increasingly inconvenient.

On a slightly different subject I do use the version information in the System/Strings file (example below).
But I feel that this does not simply answer the following questions:
1 - Is this a stable build?
2 - Is this a master build?
3 - If it is an issue specific experimental build, what is the issue number?
Might we consider adding this additional information?
appVersion 1.7.1-b1
appVerName BlackBox Component Builder 1.7.1 Beta 1
fileVersion 1.7.1.961
buildNum 961
buildDate 2017-10-03
commitHash a1ce4d8e34ab330ff6158826c2f101c2cf492bf5
(Oh, and I would still like the file date stamps to be correct!)
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:I have been using build 958 for a few days, and have just tried to install the latest build 961 to inspect that.
For the first time ever Windows defender refused to let me extract the zip file, even after I put it on the White list. I had to completely turn off "Real time virus protection".
This is getting increasingly inconvenient.

On a slightly different subject I do use the version information in the System/Strings file (example below).
But I feel that this does not simply answer the following questions:
1 - Is this a stable build?
2 - Is this a master build?
3 - If it is an issue specific experimental build, what is the issue number?
Might we consider adding this additional information?
appVersion 1.7.1-b1
appVerName BlackBox Component Builder 1.7.1 Beta 1
fileVersion 1.7.1.961
buildNum 961
buildDate 2017-10-03
commitHash a1ce4d8e34ab330ff6158826c2f101c2cf492bf5
(Oh, and I would still like the file date stamps to be correct!)
The first question is answered easily:
look at appVersion. If it does not contain a "-" then yes, else no.

2 and 3 are actually the same. It would suffice to add the branch name
where the build resulted from, for example by adding a new property buildBranch:
buildBranch master
or
buildBranch issue-#175
This information is available in the build script anyway and could be added easily.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:It would suffice to add the branch name
where the build resulted from, for example by adding a new property buildBranch:
buildBranch master
or
buildBranch issue-#175
This information is available in the build script anyway and could be added easily.
I would find this helpful; I will propose it as a new feature after 1.7.1 is stable.
Robert

Post by Robert »

The Dialog has the Command Buttons in the order "OK, Cancel, Apply, Help".

The order "Help, Ok, Cancel, Apply" would be more in line with other Dialogs, such as Edit -> Preferences or Tools -> Document Size.

The leading diagonal (Top-left -> bottom-right) should be used for the primary functions, and the other areas for secondary functions/parameters, such as Help.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:The Dialog has the Command Buttons in the order "OK, Cancel, Apply, Help".

The order "Help, Ok, Cancel, Apply" would be more in line with other Dialogs, such as Edit -> Preferences or Tools -> Document Size.

The leading diagonal (Top-left -> bottom-right) should be used for the primary functions, and the other areas for secondary functions/parameters, such as Help.
I followed the recommendations given by the windows user interface guidelines.
Unfortunately those are not followed consistently in other dialogs.

- Josef