Voting Quorum & Majority

Robert

Voting Quorum & Majority

Post by Robert »

We have 9 members, and 80% constitute a quorum (ie we need 8 votes; 7 is insufficient).
On the other hand 5 'Yesses' cannot be defeated, so wins.

Are these rules inconsistent? See https://wiki.blackboxframework.org/inde ... tle=Center.

So:
1 - This topic needs more responses
2 - Maybe we need to revise / clarify our rules?
cfbsoftware wrote:
Robert wrote:We have 9 members, and 80% constitute a quorum
I understood the quorum to be 70%:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20

However, if the subject is up for discussion again I propose that the quorum should be:

(Number of members DIV 2) + 1

i.e. currently 5.

The intention of a quorum is simply to avoid decisions being made by a minority in situations caused by loss of contact, non-availability etc. This formula guarantees a majority of members has voted and avoids having a quorum with a fractional part of a person as we have now.
DGDanforth wrote:
cfbsoftware wrote:However, if the subject is up for discussion again I propose that the quorum should be:

(Number of members DIV 2) + 1

i.e. currently 5.
I support Chris' suggestion.
Josef Templ

Re: Voting Quorum & Majority

Post by Josef Templ »

It is also OK for me to change the quorum rule as Chris suggested.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

I have drafted a suggested revised wording for our voting process.
This, or a modified version, could replace the current Wiki wording. A problem with this is that anyone can change the Wiki at any time, so having a page on the Zenario web site would be better - but, for me, much harder to write. It took me hours of trial and error to do the download page!
Votes on issues and proposals are normally called by the Chairman (or Chairperson).

The vote will be called, at the Chairman's discretion, when a discussion appears to have reached a stable point, or when two members call for a vote. He shall also notify members of the upcoming vote (by using the provided automatic notification tools).

Votes will normally be scheduled to run for five days, and members will be given the opportunity to change their votes during this period. Under appropriate circumstances the Chairman may choose a shorter or longer period.

If significant new or changed information comes to light during the voting period the Chairman may extend or cancel the vote.

At the conclusion of the voting period, and provided the vote is quorate, the vote is decided by simple majority. In the event of a tie the Chairman has a casting vote.

The quorum is given by the formula: "(Number of active Center members) DIV 2 + 1". All votes, including "Abstain" votes, count towards the quorum.

The vote may be decided and terminated early if the result cannot be changed however those who have not yet voted decide to vote (on the assumption that existing votes do not change). This is called the "Short-circuit" rule.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Looks good to me.

- Josef