1.7 final version

Josef Templ

Re: 1.7 final version

Post by Josef Templ »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Josef, if you are suggesting to include this new function in the existing module the better place is DevDependencies.
DevDependencies follows a different approach.
It analyzes object files. It is not using the compiler for finding dependencies.
Therefore I think it doesn't fit.

DevCompiler on the other hand is the command interface of the compiler.
It already has a command for compiling a list of modules and it would get a command for
generating such a list (by using the compiler). This is more closely related, I think.

- Josef
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Why should DevMake insert into another Dev module? Just left it by a module of its own.
- Helmut
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Zinn wrote:Why should DevMake insert into another Dev module? Just left it by a module of its own.
Separate module is better than DevCompiler.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Zinn wrote:Why should DevMake insert into another Dev module? Just left it by a module of its own.
- Helmut
Well, I also thought about this possibility.
Here are the detail problems:

You would need a new docu file, with just a single command.
You would need to update the build tool.
You would need to update the "Map to the Dev Subsystem" (where else are possible inconsistencies?).
You would (slightly) slow down recompilation of the system.
You would add a very small module to the existing small module DevCompiler.
You would separate things that are closely related.

This is not only a migration tool but a general purpose command for development.
It plays together with "Compile Module List". One command provides the input for the other.
To me it is most naturally hosted in DevCompiler and the changes are much simpler this way
and there is no danger of introducing any inconsistencies.
Also if you look into the implementation: it is so similar to the things done in DevCompiler anyway
and the import list is almost completely a subset of DevCompiler's import list.

In addition, it would be well-prepared for later extension e.g. towards another command
(CompileSubsystems) that does a recompile instead of generating a list. But I am not proposing to add this now.

- Josef
Last edited by Josef Templ on Wed Sep 07, 2016 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

It is ok. Do it as you like
- Helmut
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Folks, can you please review my draft of migration notes.
http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index ... uilder_1.7

After release we need to provide such a document.
Very good idea in general.

I tried to group the points into the 3 (for me) disjoint aspects:
1. problems detected by the compiler
2. problems NOT detected by the compiler
3. potential for program improvement after migration.

The wiki doesn't format sub-sub-titles nicely, unfortunately.
Thus, it does not look very good at the moment but I think the structure is reasonable.
At least these are the questions I would ask when I am about to migrate.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:This is not only a migration tool but a general purpose command for development.
It plays together with "Compile Module List". One command provides the input for the other.
DevCompiler should be kept just for compilation. This is essential enter point of development interface. It should be clean from such "useful" features.

Now DevDependencies is using to create similar lists for Compiler, Packer and Linker. Josef, please do separate module or join this functions with DevDependencies.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

In my opinion ...make list is a special case of "get next file" where a "root" path has been specified. What one does with that file depends upon the application: list the file name, compile the file, search the file, incrementally backup the file, etc. As such, I think each of those application would be best placed in a "Tools" subsystem separate from DevCompiler.
-Doug
(Still using Amazon Fire tablet, I.e. Kindle)
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Folks, can you please review my draft of migration notes.
http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index ... uilder_1.7

After release we need to provide such a document.
I don't like the reference to "Release candidate". We should have a page (and this is otherwise good) that helps people wishing to upgrade to the new stable release, but who don't want to be involved with development or experimental versions.

We could also have a page aimed at people who like to try out, or help debug, experimental versions, but that page should be quite separate from the page helping people use the stable version.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

@Ivan: The center's main page (http://blackboxframework.org/index.php?cID=home) is
available in different languages. One is German, but this seems to be Google translated.
Parts of it are more or less unreadable. Can this text be edited manually? And How?

- Josef