Editor: RTF

DGDanforth

Editor: RTF

Post by DGDanforth »

Editor
An App that might actually be useful to a wide audience is BlackBox's editor (set to produce .rtf files so they can be read by MS Word).

(However, the converter to .rtf needs to be upgraded to handle images (jpg, bmp). As it is now those images are deleted when converting to .rtf. That is not acceptable.)

The BlackBox editor is far easier to use than Word. So, I would think there would be a market for it.
Yes I understand that it is a one-way street BB=>Word but not the other way around since it would be much to much work to try and incorporate all the feature of Word into a BB implementation (or would it?)

-Doug
Robert

Re: Center App Store

Post by Robert »

DGDanforth wrote:(However, the converter to .rtf needs to be upgraded to handle images (jpg, bmp). As it is now those images are deleted when converting to .rtf. That is not acceptable.)
CasketRtfConv on the CPC site has supported exporting images (actually arbitrary Views) as bitmaps for years.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Robert wrote:
DGDanforth wrote:(However, the converter to .rtf needs to be upgraded to handle images (jpg, bmp). As it is now those images are deleted when converting to .rtf. That is not acceptable.)
CasketRtfConv on the CPC site has supported exporting images (actually arbitrary Views) as bitmaps for years.
Robert,
I the process of installing Casket I found that (Ctls)Button2- Quick-Start needs to be modified it says
Then open the file Ctls/Rsrc/Strings.odc and add the following line to Ctls/Rsrc/Strings.

Buttons2.Property StdCmds.OpenToolDialog ('Ctls/Rsrc/ButtonInspector', 'Button Views Inspector');
but that line is already present in the Strings.odc file.
-Doug
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Robert,
That works!
Both for bitmaps and for MathType equations.

Now I suggest the BB framework adopt the CasketRtfConv functionality.
Perhaps not in its present form but stripped down to fit within HostTextConv.

Josef, Ivan, Robert can we do that?
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

DGDanforth wrote:Robert,
That works!

Perhaps not in its present form but stripped down to fit within HostTextConv.

CasketRtfConv based on HostRtfConv from BlackBox version 1.5 (ASCII + code page)
HostRtfConv was redesign by OM for BlackBox 1.6 (Unicode)
I have adapt a lot of Casket functions into HostRtfConv of BlackBox 1.7
About the topic of Bitmap I did not get it running and nobody did help me with this problem.
So what? Waiting for Godot
- Helmut
Robert

Post by Robert »

DGDanforth wrote:Robert,
That works!
Thanks - it is always good to hear when people find your output useful.
I think you should give some reasons for doing this. After all, there is lots of stuff on CPC "That works", but that does not mean we should delay releasing 1.7 until it is all incorporated into the Center version.
Helmut wrote:About the topic of Bitmap I did not get it running and nobody did help me with this problem.
So what? Waiting for Godot
If people generally agree that it is desirable to have Bitmap copying functionality in HostTextConv prior to 1.7 I am prepared to look at porting it from CasketRtfConv.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Robert wrote:...that does not mean we should delay releasing 1.7 until it is all incorporated into the Center version.
Yes, now let's faster release 1.7. If new converter will be binary compatible with 1.7 it can be included in the first patch.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Ivan Denisov wrote:
Robert wrote:...that does not mean we should delay releasing 1.7 until it is all incorporated into the Center version.
Yes, now let's faster release 1.7. If new converter will be binary compatible with 1.7 it can be included in the first patch.
Agreed
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Yes, now let's faster release 1.7. If new converter will be binary compatible with 1.7 it can be included in the first patch.
(My italics.) I didn't promise that!

CasketRtfConv needs a Bitmap type to convert Bitmaps and Views to RTF. Currently is uses the private type CasketBitmaps (which explains why this module was moved from CpcRtfConv to CasketRtfConv when I added bitmap import/export). I think a clean port to HostTextConv should be based on HostBitmaps, rather than introduce another Bitmap type to the standard framework. But that would require significant changes to HostBitmap's interface.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Robert wrote: CasketRtfConv needs a Bitmap type to convert Bitmaps and Views to RTF. Currently is uses the private type CasketBitmaps (which explains why this module was moved from CpcRtfConv to CasketRtfConv when I added bitmap import/export). I think a clean port to HostTextConv should be based on HostBitmaps, rather than introduce another Bitmap type to the standard framework. But that would require significant changes to HostBitmap's interface.
Taking a quick look at CasketBitmaps interface I see a lot of exposed "View". Could all of the view dependency be hidden?

-Doug