Temporary working name of the central project group

OberonCore

Temporary working name of the central project group

Post by OberonCore »

ReneK in http://forum.blackboxframework.org/viewtopic.php?p=120#p120 wrote:
OberonCore propose the name 'Center members' for group. Not 'BBF Community "center"'.
Would this be the temporary working name, or would this be the final official name?

Probably it's a good time to open a new discussion thread about the name of the central project group. OTOH, as long as we are not agreed on what the center does, this may be premature.
1) "Center members" means the members of the group defined in the doc mentioned by Rene at Thu, 22 Aug 2013 12:18:21 +0200 in maillist. The word "center" also came from maillist.

The name "center members" is a temporary working name.

Other options?

2) The name 'BBF Community "center"' is tendentious now. The "center" may be the BBF Community center in the future. And may not. All are in our hands.
Ivan Denisov

Re: Temporary working name of the central project group

Post by Ivan Denisov »

"Center members" for me have negative meaning. "Center" is adj. in "Center members" and change the meaning like there are a lot of members and some of them are selected. In reality they are self-selected, that is why "Center members" is a little comic.

IMHO Members of BBF "Center" is much more clear. Members is superfluous word here, so BBF "Center".
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

IMHO, there is a wider community, and there are those of the wider community who agree to take responsibility for the development of the central framework. This center is authoritative for blackboxframework.org. Anybody who wants do his own variant of bb-framework is free to do so. But what is and what is not the official blackboxframework.org-framework is decided by the "center".

This center has members, thus "members of the center" or "center members", which, as far as my English goes (and I'd welcome input of native speakers) are exchangeable terms. Yet, "center members" is shorter in writing and equally descriptive as "members of the center", and following the rule of "make it as simple as possible, but not simpler", I prefer "center members" to "members of the center".
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

For Group name Members is superfluous word here, so the name "center" is enough.

Do you agree? Can I rename the group to "center"?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

I think what we temporarily call the 'center' is more commonly referred to as the 'board'.
The board (of a company or club) is where the decisions are made and where the responsibility is.
If it is called 'board' everybody understands it with little need for more explanation.

- Josef
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Josef,
"board" is good. But I think it needs something like "of ....".

For instance, if you look at the header of this site, you find the words
blackboxframework.org
Blackbox Framework Community board

beside the BB logo. Obviously, this "Blackbox Framework Community board" (as in "discussion board") does not carry the same meaning of "board" as you have in mind. A non-profit-organisation may have a "board of trustees", a company may have a "board of directors" and so on.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Rene,
I do agree, the two meanings of 'board' should be clearly separated.

So let us call it what it is: "board of directors".

A director is somebody who directs, i.e. defines the way to go.
And this is what we are supposed to do no matter which legal form
we have or if we have a legal form at all.
The Apache Software Foundation also has a board of directors, for example.

- Josef
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Good idea. Does this mean that we should also think about legally instituting a (non-profit or for-profit) foundation (would surely help to manage funds and get donations, where necessary, without coming into conflict with local or international laws, especially tax laws)?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

ReneK wrote:Good idea. Does this mean that we should also think about legally instituting a (non-profit or for-profit) foundation (would surely help to manage funds and get donations, where necessary, without coming into conflict with local or international laws, especially tax laws)?
I would not do it now. It may become an issue if we grow much larger.
For now I would rather focus on setting the whole thing up, i.e. including
a repository with issue tracker, download area, etc.

- Josef
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

I agree. "Not now" is a good idea for this topic.