Windows 10

DGDanforth

Windows 10

Post by DGDanforth »

Looking forward we know very little about the upcoming release of Windows 10.
I mention this now because my personal system is getting old:
(1) MacBook OSX 10.5.8
(2) Parallel's Desktop 3.0 for Mac build Jan 16, 2008
(3) Windows XP

I have been thinking about upgrading both hardware and software but I am going to
try and stretch things out until Windows 10 is released.
We do not know the extent of backwards compatibility of Windows 10.
I am simply hoping that BlackBox will run on it (or with minor changes).

Does anyone have any more information about Windows 10?
What do you think our strategy should be with regard to it?

-Doug
DGDanforth

Re: Windows 10

Post by DGDanforth »

Here are some discussions about Windows 10.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

"Microsoft says Windows 10 is designed to run on all kinds of computing devices -- from tiny sensors in the Internet of Things, to desktops and tablets, and even servers running massive corporate data centers."

Report: Microsoft Building New Web Browser For Windows 10 (And It's Not IE12)
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

More discussion about Windows 10

Two points caught my eye:
An offer you can't refuse

Actually, before we dig into Windows 10’s new features, let’s talk about something perhaps even more important: Its price. Windows 10 will be a completely free upgrade for current Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who upgrade within a year of the new operating system's debut (which will happen around early fall).

You can’t beat that price. And once you’ve claimed the upgrade, you’ll continue to receive updates for the supported life of your device.
So maybe, just maybe, Windows 10 will be backwards compatible with BlackBox.
Continuum UI switching

With the Windows 10 Preview rolling out more broadly to device types beyond traditional PCs, Microsoft is implementing the ‘Continuum’ interface it teased at the initial Windows 10 reveal. Continuum dynamically shifts the interface from Modern to desktop depending on whether you’re using a PC or a touch-enabled device. If you’re using a hybrid-style device, it will switch back and forth depending on how you’re actively using the device at the moment.

It sounds like the intelligent UI switcher Windows 8 has so desperately needed since its launch.
I wonder what that will do for Views.
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

DGDanforth wrote:Actually, before we dig into Windows 10’s new features, let’s talk about something perhaps even more important: Its price. Windows 10 will be a completely free upgrade for current Windows 7 and Windows 8 users who upgrade within a year of the new operating system's debut (which will happen around early fall).
Do you believe on Santa Claus? Microsoft would like to earn money. The have nothing to give away.

I can’t say anything about Windows 10 before I have it for using it. Currently I change from Windows to Linux and their I have several BlackBox problems.

From the BlackBox side there is no difference about using Windows XP, Vista, 7 or 8.

From the normal user (using) side there is a big difference between Windows 7 and 8. By myself I had no using problems by changing from XP to Vista and Windows 7. But I had great using problems by changing from 7 to 8. I could not use Windows 8 before I looked to some YouTube videos and read some Windows 8 books. You have to know about 20 things and rules (which XP and 7 users don’t know) otherwise you have a lot of trouble.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

> What do we expect for Windows 10?
>

You should expect it to work OK. I have just installed "ETH: Plugin Oberon for Windows Win32 2.5 (18.12.2010)" on Windows 10 Pro, built a package, opened a file in the editor and compiled it - all without any problems.

Regards,
Chris

Chris Burrows
CFB Software
http://www.cfbsoftware.com
cfbsoftware

Post by cfbsoftware »

I have now also installed BlackBox 1.6 Final (11.10.2013) on Windows 10 and run a couple of quick tests without any problems.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

cfbsoftware wrote:I have now also installed BlackBox 1.6 Final (11.10.2013) on Windows 10 and run a couple of quick tests without any problems.
Excellent. Now I can upgrade my machine.

-Doug
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

There is a problem with aux windows design.
http://community.blackboxframework.org/ ... f=19&t=105
If somebody will find the answer about this question, please let us know.
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Yes, there is a styling problem with Windows 10.
- Helmut
Last edited by Zinn on Sun Apr 03, 2016 6:17 am, edited 2 times in total.