Tool that generates special characters using Unicode

Ivan Denisov

Re: Tool that generates special characters using Unicode

Post by Ivan Denisov »

ReneK wrote:I'm sorry, but I do not understand the Topic of non-Latin characters in source code. I mean, I can understand that someone wants to have comments in his native language and script, but having names in different scripts? What the heck for?
One of the aim — School education.
Fyodor Tkachov is the leader of good educational initiative. And for many years he was using module Characters in his BlackBox.
http://www.inr.ac.ru/~info21/

Second aim — scientific programming with usage of math and Greek symbols. Like Doug are doing for many years with Symbol font.

Third aim — the image of IDE, this feature is COOL-factor very important for marketing.

Fourth aim (joky) — protection of intellectual property. If I make some commercial software in Russian, less people can read this if steal the sources :)
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Ivan Denisov wrote:One of the aim — School education.
Fyodor Tkachov is the leader of good educational initiative. And for many years he was using module Characters in his BlackBox.
http://www.inr.ac.ru/~info21/
Of what age of students do we talk here? When we had programming at school, I was 15 years old. Before that, "informatics" was about using office products, not about programming, And with my kids (the youngest being 14), it is quite the same. This may be a local Austrian thing, though.

Nevertheless, our native language is German, English is a second language. It was and is normal to use English names here. That way, you not only teach one subject (programming), but you also help people advance their English. Better education, IMHO.
Second aim — scientific programming with usage of math and Greek symbols. Like Doug are doing for many years with Symbol font.
OK. I can see some Point here.
Third aim — the image of IDE, this feature is COOL-factor very important for marketing.
I do not understand this. Could you explain more?
Fourth aim (joky) — protection of intellectual property. If I make some commercial software in Russian, less people can read this if steal the sources :)
(equally in jest) That may be right, but since sources need not be public, the only effect you get from this is that non-Russian People will be unable to use the exports you provide which will reduce your user base.
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

Rene,

in principle I share your concerns, but allowing different code pages - which is possible in BlackBox already a very long time, if not from the beginning or even in times of Oberon/F- created most of the problems.

Switching to Utf-8 internally (i.e. in symbol and code files) solves it.

But the discussion about that topic is here http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... f=41&t=144
--
Bernhard
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

ReneK wrote:
I do not understand this. Could you explain more?
Sorry for the long delay with the answer. Rene, here I meant that product should has something catching for newbies. This feature can provide such point for BlackBox.

Doug, does the discussion is finished. Can I move this topic to the archive and lock?
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Yes, you can archive the topic.