Center App Store

Josef Templ

Re: Center App Store

Post by Josef Templ »

If it is open source it cannot be requested to be removed.
This is strange and it would be sad.

A compromise would be to put them into a special group of packages, e.g. "unsupported".

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:If it is open source it cannot be requested to be removed.
This is strange and it would be sad.

A compromise would be to put them into a special group of packages, e.g. "unsupported".
Unfortunately Lib has no open-source license. It was proprietary BAE SYSTEMS software.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

What does this mean for those of us relying heavily on those subsystems?
For example I am using Casket to export my .odc files to .rtf so I can publish a paper
in Physical Review Letters that only accepts Docx (or LaTeX).

-Doug
cfbsoftware

Post by cfbsoftware »

DGDanforth wrote:What does this mean for those of us relying heavily on those subsystems?
I doubt that you would encounter any problems if you are just using the code yourself on your own internal system and not redistributing it or claiming ownership to it in any way, shape or form. After all it is still publicly available on archive.org. However, you would need to check with an IP lawyer if you wanted a definitive answer. Rather than doing that, if you do have concerns it might just be easier / less expensive to look for an alternative solution?

There have been a couple of Internet articles published recently which illustrate the possible perils of becoming dependent on 'free' / open source software:

http://qz.com/646467/how-one-programmer ... e-of-code/

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/08/28 ... iolations/
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Ivan Denisov wrote: Unfortunately Lib has no open-source license. It was proprietary BAE SYSTEMS software.
How can it be in CPC with source code if it does not have an open source license?
Citation from Lib: "It is licensed for personal & educational use, not for commercial exploitation."
There is no time limit specified, thus it is still "licensed for personal & educational use, ...".
It has its own version of a restricted open source license.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:How can it be in CPC with source code if it does not have an open source license?
Citation from Lib: "It is ...
You omitted the important words "may be used with the Educational and Shareware editions of BlackBox 1.4.".

I am not a laywer, and am only expressing my personal opinion.

Also see: http://community.blackboxframework.org/ ... p=724#p724