Center App Store

Zinn

Re: Center App Store

Post by Zinn »

Sorry, you don’t understand.
I have not a web store and not an app store.
It is not a business website. It is a private website.
I can’t enter a price like free. That will be get trouble with the law.

When contents is out of date, why don’t you send me an update?
When you miss your subsystem, why don’t you send it to me for publication?
Where is the problem?
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Zinn wrote:Sorry, you don’t understand.
I have not a web store and not an app store.
It is not a business website. It is a private website.
I can’t enter a price like free. That will be get trouble with the law.
The questions is not in the details, but in general ready or not you change your system according the needs of Center.
Trading is not necessary on this step of the development. Now I put this field in the draft for intention, to show some expectancies for future.
Zinn wrote:When contents is out of date, why don’t you send me an update?
When you miss your subsystem, why don’t you send it to me for publication?
Where is the problem?
It is not easy to answer. In general I fill uncomfortable because of three reasons:
1. I am shy to disturb another people. If I can do this by my self, I will publish another place by my self.
2. I had bad experience with your system, when you tried to convince me while publication that I need to change my subsystem in the way it follows your expectations about it.
3. It is old style email interaction. Sixth technological paradigm is based on the principle that service should be available any time. So publisher should have access to change the description or delete his component any time 24h a day.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

WORKING SET
For an Center App Store it is necessary to guarantee a "working set". I think Ivan is doing that
but to be explicit what I mean by a working set is that any App that is downloaded must be
compatible with the modules on my system AND if not then the App needs to inform me of
that fact and tell me exactly what modules need to be upgraded.

If an App is self contained then there is no problem. If the App is a new version of the App
then I would assume all old modules belonging to the App would be over written or deleted
as need by the installation process.

Ivan, are you guaranteeing a clean working set for your App process?

-Doug
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

DGDanforth wrote:Ivan, are you guaranteeing a clean working set for your App process?
We can implement automatic compilation tests based on Compile-List. I think it is what you mean.
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Ivan Denisov wrote: The questions is not in the details, but in general ready or not you change your system according the needs of Center.
Trading is not necessary on this step of the development. Now I put this field in the draft for intention, to show some expectancies for future.
You still don’t understand. When I organize my website as your purpose then my website will be disappear sooner or later. Is that your aim?
Ivan Denisov wrote: It is not easy to answer. In general I fill uncomfortable because of three reasons:
1. I am shy to disturb another people. If I can do this by myself, I will publish another place by myself.
Of course you can publish your modules on your own website. You don’t disturb me when you are using the service of my website.
Ivan Denisov wrote: 2. I had bad experience with your system, when you tried to convince me while publication that I need to change my subsystem in the way it follows your expectations about it.
I always proof if there is a Quick-Start and I may change it.
I compile the subsystem.
I do not upload when I get compiling error.
I always create both save sets with the list of contents before I upload.
It will be enough when you send me one save set. The other one is created by my own.

Your subsystem doesn’t work on my system. So I ask you back what happens. As I get no solution from you I uploaded it as it is. But I’m not happy with it. Maybe when you send me your latest version, it will be work also here on my system.
Ivan Denisov wrote: 3. It is old style email interaction. Sixth technological paradigm is based on the principle that service should be available any time. So publisher should have access to change the description or delete his component any time 24h a day.
With the law here I can’t provide this kind of services. I’m responsible of the contents which shown on the website and I must be able to edit it.
You may see my website as a last stable backup.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Component Pascal Collection is very good resource and nobody argue with that. It fits somebody needs. However it is not solving the problem of components exchange now. That is why OberonCore creates there own repository and I am also making many experiments with automatic packing, bindings with Git etc.

I think, that now is clear, that we should develop another product. Development of infrastructure is important to promote BlackBox.

You have very good road to BlackBox village, we want to make railroad to it for BlackBox can become a good town. That is what I mean.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

For me the main open point (and independent of the look and feel of the app store) is the handling of menu extensions.
Some packages don't have and don't need an extra top level menu but need e.g. a single menu item in Dev.
This cannot be accomplished now except by manually modifying the Dev menu file and this is not very convenient.
It also has the drawback that you get out of sync with the original menu file.
For a novice user this is a very steep hurdle.
In addition, if you have multiple extension packages installed that have their own top level menu,
the menu bar gets very long and it is not possible to selectively enable or disable menus
without uninstalling extension packages.

Before any app store is designed, such issues must be solved first on a conceptual level.
Did the oberoncore app store solve this problem?

In any case, there is no need to hurry with the app store.
There is a well-known and working solution (CPC) and before anything beyond that is done,
the requirements need to be clear.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:For me the main open point (and independent of the look and feel of the app store) is the handling of menu extensions.
My Menus are now quite non-standard, which makes trying out new versions of BlackBox very inconvenient. This is not a good solution, but I do not have a clear idea of what would be better (never mind knowing how to implement it!).

Related issues are:

1 - Should BlackBox support 'DropDown' menus as standard? Should more than 1 level of sub-menu be supported - I don't think CpcDropDown (which I use) can do this?
2 - Should BlackBox support menus tied to specific "Child" Windows?
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I am happy with current menu system, but agree what it can be improved.

I am not installing many components for one project and deleting/renaming unnecessary menus files manually. I do not think it is hard for user to rename one file.
However there is the tool which can solve the problem of many unused menu.
http://zinnamturm.eu/downloadsAC.htm#CpcMenus
It can be a part of package manager.

Nevertheless this menus features we can be target to 1.8.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:In any case, there is no need to hurry with the app store.
There is a well-known and working solution (CPC) and before anything beyond that is done,
the requirements need to be clear.
Folks, now I have some inspiration and can do some very good draft for free. Few Russian colleagues ready to help with testing.
Also Douglas seems to be interested in the development. Maybe he also will upload his components for testing.
It will be good if you support process with a good discussion, that you want and do not want to be in the system.
If there will be some hot debates, we can vote for important infrastructure questions. That is how I see the work flow now.
Then the draft will be tested we can improve functions or reduce some insecure or illegal parts.