64-bit BlackBox

cfbsoftware

64-bit BlackBox

Post by cfbsoftware »

ReneK wrote:A big part will be fixed with a 64-bit compile, but I guess other questions will arise from that change, like:
*) does a larger RAM affect Garbage Collection? Do we need new algorithms to deal with larger RAM, for instance?
*) How will we deal with people who need to develop 32-bit AND 64-bit applications?)
I'm not convinced that a 64-bit version of BlackBox is a high priority. However, for those who might be interested in investigating further there are two very good ModulaTor articles on the subject:

Oberon-2 from 32 bit to 64 bit -- without any programming language change Günter Dotzel, April 2001.

64 Bit Oberon Günter Dotzel and Hartmut Goebel, Nov 1997.
DGDanforth

Re: 64-bit BlackBox

Post by DGDanforth »

Chris,
Very nice. Thank you for that.
-Doug
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Using of Astrobe for many years give me some idea. There are area for heap and area for static data in RAM of MCU. The same can be done in Windows.

We can make the garbage collection working fast only with some limited area of 2Gb. Other memory is using manually.

This should work, because huge size of memory is needed for some big files like databases and datasets. Developers, working with such structures can keep in mind finalization procedures to clear this data.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »