Voting Rules

Ivan Denisov

Re: Voting Rules

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I against time limit. 1. Because It is against quorum idea. 2. Because it can led to falling the votes without the reason.

I am missanderstanding pseudocode. I think, that we should not use it for the discussions.
Pseudocode is leading to pseudoclearness.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Ivan Denisov wrote:I against time limit. 1. Because It is against quorum idea. 2. Because it can led to falling the votes without the reason.

I am missanderstanding pseudocode. I think, that we should not use it for the discussions.
Pseudocode is leading to pseudoclearness.
What if the quorum is never reached?
cfbsoftware

Post by cfbsoftware »

Ivan Denisov wrote:I against time limit. 1. Because It is against quorum idea.
On the contrary - the concept of a quorum is meaningless without a time limit. If the time limit is reached and the quorum is not satisfied then the poll is invalid. Voting is not compulsory - no vote is effectively a protest vote. If there is no time limit, some polls will remain open forever.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Technically our usage of the term 'quorum' is wrong.
A quorum is necessary BEFORE a vote can be taken.

To actually implement that for an online community one could 'register' for a poll
and if the number of registrants equals or exceeds the quorum value THEN a vote
can be taken.

(Forcing people to register would slow the whole process to a crawl, more than it is already).
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

quorum call - A call of the roll to establish whether a quorum is present. If any senator "suggests the absence of a quorum," the presiding officer must direct the roll to be called. Often, a quorum call is terminated by unanimous consent before completion, which permits the Senate to use the quorum call to obtain a brief delay to work out some difficulty or await a senator's arrival.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

cfbsoftware wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:I against time limit. 1. Because It is against quorum idea.
On the contrary - the concept of a quorum is meaningless without a time limit. If the time limit is reached and the quorum is not satisfied then the poll is invalid. Voting is not compulsory - no vote is effectively a protest vote. If there is no time limit, some polls will remain open forever.
For protest should be the option. I am suggesting to use "veto" option for this or it can be "no one from above". Please, do not protest by silence.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

DGDanforth wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:I against time limit. 1. Because It is against quorum idea. 2. Because it can led to falling the votes without the reason
What if the quorum is never reached?
1. It was never happened before.
2. With Short Circuit rule in some cases it will not be needed.
DGDanforth wrote:Technically our usage of the term 'quorum' is wrong.
A quorum is necessary BEFORE a vote can be taken.

To actually implement that for an online community one could 'register' for a poll
and if the number of registrants equals or exceeds the quorum value THEN a vote
can be taken.

(Forcing people to register would slow the whole process to a crawl, more than it is already).
That is why the quorum is the amount of voted people. All who come to forum should vote, do not keep silence.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Ivan Denisov wrote: For protest should be the option. I am suggesting to use "veto" option for this or it can be "no one from above". Please, do not protest by silence.
No. Why complicate things? Poll duration is a simple concept and easily implemented.
Don't fight it.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

DGDanforth wrote:Poll duration is a simple concept and easily implemented. Don't fight it.
This are not enough arguments, Doug. Poll duration can be used to know group opinion, but not for making decisions. For group decision is important for all members have ability to vote. Sometimes it require some time to study the question. Or some members can be busy for several days.
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Poll duration currently is not defined by any rule, so the chair can use it or not at his own discretion. That's as it should be,IMHO. I dont understand the need to regulate here.