Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Merged to the master branch
Robert

Re: Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Post by Robert »

The Std/Docu/Links file says: "A possibly simpler way to create this link is ... The blue coloring and underlining are applied automatically.".

Would it be:
1 - more consistent
2 - helpful
3 - fairly easy to implement
to automate the "blue coloring and underlining" when the Tools -> Create Link is used on the old " <command>text<>" format also?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:The Std/Docu/Links file says: "A possibly simpler way to create this link is ... The blue coloring and underlining are applied automatically.".

Would it be:
1 - more consistent
2 - helpful
3 - fairly easy to implement
to automate the "blue coloring and underlining" when the Tools -> Create Link is used on the old " <command>text<>" format also?
Well, I think the old format is for backwards compatibility only and therefore it should not be changed.
For me, it is only here because many users are used to it and would be confused if it was gone.
After users discover the new format, they will stop using the old format anyway.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef
I think this is now ready for voting. Can you please post an "End-to-end" diff?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

here is the end-to-end diff: https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... 6a7fc21061.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

When I want to update the hidden part of a StdStamps.View by using its Form I <Ctrl>-click on it.
When I want to update the hidden part of a StdLinks.Link by using its Form I Right-click on it.

This seems like an unnecessary inconsistency to me.
I think it would be better to use the StdStamps approach.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:When I want to update the hidden part of a StdStamps.View by using its Form I <Ctrl>-click on it.
When I want to update the hidden part of a StdLinks.Link by using its Form I Right-click on it.

This seems like an unnecessary inconsistency to me.
I think it would be better to use the StdStamps approach.
<Ctrl>-click on a link is already used for transforming the link to the special syntax.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Can you please switch off the new feature for Mask & Browser mode? It is better if regular user of my apps will not see technical information. This information can be used to explore the system and make some hacks. Also my old users will be surprised about this unexpected behavior. I want to minimize the differences between the project Freenix I am working on now and the Center version. However I can not adopt this feature with current realization :(
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Can you please switch off the new feature for Mask & Browser mode?
I support this suggestion for two reasons:
1 - Consistency. You can't see the link the old way in Browser mode, so why should you be able to see it the new way?
2 - Frustration. I usually open a link in Browser documents so I can use it as a model for a link I am writing into a new document, but then find I can't copy it. So I then have to go back, set the original into Edit mode, reopen the link dialog, then copy it. Best not to be able to open it at all in Browser mode.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:Can you please switch off the new feature for Mask & Browser mode?
I support this suggestion for two reasons:
1 - Consistency. You can't see the link the old way in Browser mode, so why should you be able to see it the new way?
2 - Frustration. I usually open a link in Browser documents so I can use it as a model for a link I am writing into a new document, but then find I can't copy it. So I then have to go back, set the original into Edit mode, reopen the link dialog, then copy it. Best not to be able to open it at all in Browser mode.
I am sorry but I have to disagree on both points.
1. it was possible even in BB 1.6 to open the link dialog of a link in a Browser mode document by using the "Properties" menu item.
2. you can copy a link from a Browser mode document into your own document indeed.

In general I understand the need of application writers but at the same time I find it very convenient to quickly open the link dialog
in docu files to see how the docu file is named, for example. After all, making the link visible was the starting point of this issue.
There must be a solution that fits us all.

I can imagine for example to add a configuration option in StdLinks for specifying the popup behavior of an application.
This would allow explicit control over the popup behavior for mask and browser mode.

Code: Select all

PROCEDURE SetDialogConfig*(popupBrowser, popupMask: BOOLEAN);
- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:1. it was possible even in BB 1.6 to open the link dialog of a link in a Browser mode document by using the "Properties" menu item.
In my app there is no "Properties" menu item, so users can not see the code. Maybe you do not understand the importance of text interface? The text interface is keystone of Oberon world. There are some things that should be done with care.

I am suggesting to keep this behavior with a form for Edit mode to provide the easy manipulations as you prefer. But for Mask mode and Browser mode use standard behavior.
Last edited by Ivan Denisov on Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.