issue-#173 adding new modifiers in Controllers

Merged to the master branch
Robert

Re: issue-#173 adding new modifiers in Controllers

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:> 2 - Docu/User-Man. "different sizes, hold down the alt key (or, alternatively, use the middle mouse button), and the ...
What do you mean with 'different sizes'?
That is just a bit of context to identify where the quote comes from.
My point was that if the document is meant to be platform neutral the primary reference should be to the name "pick", but it is helpful to Windows users to also have the word "alt" in brackets.
If this is a Windows specific section my point does not apply.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:> 1 - Docu/Tut-6. " For the mapping of platform specific keys see platform specific modifiers." An active link to the PSI section would be good. I would like to see a "Target" View in the PSI so I can easily link to it in my own Docus.
This is an active link, Isn't it?
I just wanted to clarify that it was not just a link in Tut-6 that opened the PSI, but it also included the second Command "StdLinks.ShowTarget", which in turn requires that the PSI is altered to include a suitable Target.

By the way, the Docu for StdLinks.CreateTarget talks about the "ctrl" key. Does that need to be updated to be platform independant?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:
Josef Templ wrote:
Robert wrote:In Std/Mod/Links " (* ignore 'pick' (alt, cmd, and middle clicks) in edit mode *)" seems wrong.
Should it be " (* ignore 'pick' (alt or middle click) and "cmd" in edit mode *)"?

Is "cmd" adequately explained - I don't know what it (or "opt") are!
cmd and opt are unused as far as I have seen.
They may have been used for the MacOS version.
I didn't want to remove them because I tried to keep the changes small.

- Josef
I was only making the very minor point that with your wording it looks like "alt", "cmd", & "middle" are alternative names for "pick" which is being ignored. With my wording the intention is to say that both "pick" & "cmd" are ignored.
My assumption is that on the Mac cmd was used in the same way as alt under Windows, i.e. for 'pick'.

- Josef
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

There are some typing errors in StdLinks.
Replace all
#Std:
against
#StdLinks:
and everything is OK
- Helmut
Robert

Post by Robert »

In System/Docu/Controllers it says
CONST extend, modify
BlackBox operates with two virtual modifier keys.
This now needs to include "pick" as a third virtual modifier key.

There is still some confusion. If "middle mouse" is treated as a (virtual) modification to a standard mouse click, then surely "right click" should be treated the same. Thus we have four virtual modifier keys.

Slightly different topic. Chris, you have a long memory, and probably still have a running copy of Oberon/F. Were "opt" & "cmd" the Mac equivalents to "ctrl" & "alt"?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Zinn wrote:There are some typing errors in StdLinks.
Replace all
#Std:
against
#StdLinks:
and everything is OK
- Helmut
I agree that this should be fixed, but I would prefer to do it in a separate issue.
This also involves changing the Std Strings resource file because the keys are missing.

- Josef
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:In System/Docu/Controllers it says
CONST extend, modify
BlackBox operates with two virtual modifier keys.
This now needs to include "pick" as a third virtual modifier key.

There is still some confusion. If "middle mouse" is treated as a (virtual) modification to a standard mouse click, then surely "right click" should be treated the same. Thus we have four virtual modifier keys.
Yes, the original docu is not very well structured in this respect. So it is hard to add more docu.
I have restructured it a bit to make it clear that all the modifier keys belong together.

I have also added a mouse table to the text user docu and I have changed the P_S_I to a table instead of the CONST declarations.

See diffs at https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... 33d73366f0.
For looking at formatted tables you will need the latest build at http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... b1.944.zip.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

I think we are definitely getting closer!

The idea of a virtual modifier has now gone. Maybe (see below) we need to bring it back!

We talk about "BlackBox .. platform independent modifiers ... doubleClick, extend, modify, popup & pick". See Docu/Controllers.
Ok, but this is in a Developer manual. I think this is rather pointless unless we also use this idea in the Tutorial and User manuals.
The idea, and the link to PSI table, should be in a Tutorial or User manual. (And calling this idea a virtual modifier is not a bad idea.)

For example see the Menu Configuration section of the System User Manual. It talks about <ctrl> & <shift> keys without any reference to the platform independent ideas, or mentioning that this is Windows specific documentation. Again the Form User Manual talks about the "alt" key without referring to the platform independent idea "pick".

Assuming that the ideas "BlackBox platform independent modifiers: doubleClick, extend, modify, popup & pick" are also introduced somewhere in the User manuals I have a couple of detailed comments:

1 - In Controllers under pick say "means that a mouse button has been pressed in a way which is intended for drag-and-pick (usually by using the middle mouse button if a three button mouse is available, or by using the Alt key)."

2 - In PSI: "Modifier sets are used in Controllers.TrackMsg, Controllers.EditMsg, and Ports.Frame.Input. The BlackBox platform independant modifier elements doubleClick, extend, modify, popup, and pick are defined in module Controllers. Additional Windows platform-specific modifier elements are defined in module HostPorts.
The correspondence between these elements is shown in the table below. If the HostPort element is included it implies that the corresponding Controllers element will be included."

Personally, for completeness, I would add the doubleClick line.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Why doesn't Controllers import the definitions of extend, modify, ... etc from HostPorts (or the other way round)?
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:Why doesn't Controllers import the definitions of extend, modify, ... etc from HostPorts (or the other way round)?
I have also asked this question to myself.
The correct import would be HostPorts imports Controllers, not the other way round!
It works without any problems but it changes the order in which modules are loaded at BB startup.
Usually this is not a problem but since I cannot prove it I left it unchanged.

- Josef