issue-#32 Folds arrows display

Zinn

Re: issue-#32 Folds arrows display

Post by Zinn »

Sorry, it is good idear, but I don't like the result. The document looks terrible with the new fold sign. At your old solution the fold sign looks very pretty.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Zinn wrote:Sorry, it is good idear, but I don't like the result. The document looks terrible with the new fold sign. At your old solution the fold sign looks very pretty.
It was the temporary demo to demonstrate the idea. Now I have finished the full quality demo for voting!

http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... a1.086.zip

Diff with master:
http://redmine.blackboxframework.org/pr ... 63a053d22f
folds_in_windows.png
folds_in_windows.png (2.09 KiB) Viewed 18293 times
folds_in_wine.png
folds_in_wine.png (1.96 KiB) Viewed 18293 times
folds_ubuntu.png
folds_ubuntu.png (14.41 KiB) Viewed 18293 times
folds_bb_SLD.png
folds_bb_SLD.png (12.46 KiB) Viewed 18280 times
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

> It was the temporary demo to demonstrate the idea. Now I have finished the full quality demo for voting!

Impressive demo on the one side but there are some differences to the fold arrows of BB1.6 on the other side.
- try printing open folds
- look at the offsets to the adjacent left and right neighbour character
- look at the height of the arrow; arrows are less high in BB1.6, which looks better
- the arrows in 1.6 start at the base line and extend a bit above lower case letters
- the outline thickness differs with the size of the font
- the quality is still not the same as a rendered font glyph

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Thanks for feedback, Josef, I will fix this today.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

What exactly is the problem with folds arrows in the russian Windows version?
Is windings not available? Is webdings not available? Are the arrow characters in
those fonts missing? Which appearance results in russian BB1.6 now?
Note that in BB1.6 there is always a fall back to the DefaultAppearance (strings >, =>, <=, <),
which should be usable as well.

For wine there exists a nice solution in CPC 1.7. It uses webdings instead of windings
and thereby has quite nice and usable arrows although they look a bit different then the
windings arrows.

I must admit that I am not a fan of Ivan's tricky rendering that tries to simulate the subpixel
antialiasing of the Windows font engine. A large effort has been spent by Microsoft
for this rendering to work well. It is not easy to come close.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I really do not understand why you want super perfect arrows and ready to sacrifice portability and the solution which does not require system modules grow fat!

I know how to fix your comments, and prepare code soon for people can evaluate. Of course I am not hope for much. You and Helmut can crush initiative with you authority, however there is a chance to move BlackBox to be fit and ported on other platforms. The fall backs is not what I want to see on Linux or Wine or SDL version.
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

In the other thread (http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... t=10#p1970)
Josef Templ wrote:
▶closed fold◀
▷open fold◁

What about these?
The above characters are standard Unicode characters 25b6, 25b7, 25c0, 25c1.
Although they are standard Unicode characters, not every Windows font contains them.
My Windows Vista has these in the fonts "Arial Unicode MS", "Lucida Sans Unicode" and "DeJavu Sans".
I am not sure if every Windows version has these fonts installed and if Wine has one of them.
In my SuSE SLED11 Installation there are chars 25b6, 25b7, 25c0, 25c1 and they look at least as nice as the ones found by Josef.
They are available (checked with charmap) in all fonts I checked (Dingbats, DejaVu Sans, Monospace, Serif, Utah MT, Utopia, Yudit).

Why not use these?

I personally like them even more than the original, where I found the arrows too large. I guess the originals were compromises in times of Win95. We switched to Unicode, so why don't we use the available characters.
--
Bernhard
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:What exactly is the problem with folds arrows in the russian Windows version?
Is windings not available? Is webdings not available? Are the arrow characters in
those fonts missing? Which appearance results in russian BB1.6 now?
Please take a look the first message:
http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... =197#p1933
The images are showing wine and windows appearance correspondingly.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

New demo version is ready.
http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... a1.088.zip
new_layout.png
new_layout.png (33.24 KiB) Viewed 18247 times
I have fixed the printing layout (removed grey line), made the arrows less height and added small distance between them and string.

If you look at the commander, you will find that it looks a bit ugly. However it is independent of platform. If you compare this arrows with commander, them looks much better and always independent of platform.
q.png
q.png (1.75 KiB) Viewed 18247 times
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Ivan,
Good. I like it.