Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Merged to the master branch
Josef Templ

Re: Issue-#175 Display StdLink command in status line

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote: 1 - The Link dialog should be documented (in Std/Docu/Links.odc ?)
There is a user docu and a developer docu.
StdLinks docu belongs to the developer doce, it describes the API
but in this case (and also for StdFolds) the separation is not followed strictly.
This is a bit strange.

The GUI aspects may better fit in Text/Docu/User-Man, section 11, I think.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Zinn wrote:The only improvement I see will be that the right click opens the property dialog (the link form) instead of showing the link in the status line.
- Helmut
Do not like this idea. This is bad for final users of applications made with BlackBox.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

I have committed a first version of what I would see as an improvement over the existing
way links and targets are created and handled. The docu is updated accordingly but it is probably not perfect.

See diffs at https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... 6a7fc21061.

The changes are:
1. mouse-right on a link or target text stretch opens its property dialog.
This works also for browser mode and even for mask mode. A bit of extra coding was required for mask mode, though.

2. Some minor improvements of the layout and guards in the 'Links and Targets' dialog, for example a distinction between
read-only or editable.

3. an extension to the Tools->Create Link/Create Target commands that now accept any text selection.
The old syntax based form is still supported but I would expect that in the future it will be rarely used
because the new alternative is so much simpler.

4. missing "target '^0' not found" key added to Std/Rsrc/Strings

The test version can be downloaded from http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... b1.954.zip.

- Josef
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Very nice. It works fine.
Does it make sense to have the property dialog also in browser mode?
Why not execute the link in browser mode?
People who have read only are end-user. "For an end-user it shows confusing internal details of a link."
Anyway they can't change it in browser mode. So execution is much better.
- Helmut
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef Templ wrote:This works also for browser mode and even for mask mode.
Bad idea.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Zinn wrote:Very nice. It works fine.
Does it make sense to have the property dialog also in browser mode?
Why not execute the link in browser mode?
People who have read only are end-user. "For an end-user it shows confusing internal details of a link."
Anyway they can't change it in browser mode. So execution is much better.
- Helmut
Execute in Browser mode is possible anyway with mouse-left, the usual mouse click.
It gives sense also for Browser mode for inspecting the link, i.e. to see what is behind the link.
If you are not interested, you don't use it and you don't see it.
If you don't trust the link, for whatever reason, you should be able to see what is behind the link easily
(wasn't this also the idea of the hovering behavior?).
This also applies to developers that download for example an extension package (maybe from a source less trusted than CPC)
and read the Quick-Start (in Browser mode).

Have you tried the generalized Create Link/Target commands?

- Josef
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

the latest version now also contains a help button in the Links & Targets dialog.

see http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... b1.956.zip.

- Josef
Zinn

Post by Zinn »

Sorry, for the delayed answer. I have great trouble with false positive virus alert already at the download time of BlackBox.

Josef, your changes are ok.
One minor typing error "tthe" in Docu/Links.

The new generalized Create Link/Target commands are helpful.

- Helmut
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Zinn wrote: Josef, your changes are ok.
One minor typing error "tthe" in Docu/Links.
- Helmut
fixed.

See diffs at https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... acb9878be4.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

I have quickly looked at the new suggestions. I think I am happy with the way it works, but I do have some comments on the Docus.

1 - In line 2 of Links & Targets it says "link resp. target". I don't like the abbreviation, so it would be better to say "link or respectively target". Actually it would be even better to simply say "link or target".

I know that "resp." is used in several other places, and it would generally be better to say "respectively".

2 - The file name should be changed from "/Docu/LinksAndTargets" to something like "/Docu/Links-Dialog". The reason is so that it appears in a more suitable place when using the Repository Tool.

3 - In line 3 replace "Text -> Show Marks." by Text -> Show Marks".

4 - Add a link to this Docu in "/Std/Docu/Sys-Map".

In "/Std/Docu/Links" ...

5 - "If you click the right mouse button on a link, a dialog is opened that allows for inspecting and editing the link's properties."
should be something like
"If you click the right mouse button on a link or target, a dialog is opened that allows for inspecting and editing the link or target's properties. This dialog is described more fully in <add link>".

6 - On the next line the phrase "The Target property contains ..." is confusing. Why call it a Target property for a link?

7 - A few lines later there is an explanation of using the menu option "Tools->Create Link", but this is no longer the preferred way of using this option.
Add:
<<A possibly simpler way to create this link is to enter, then select, the text "beep beep" (without the quotes), then use the menu option "Tools->Create Link"; then type into the "Link:" field "Dialog.Beep; Dialog.Beep" (without the quotes); then click "Apply". The blue coloring and underlining are applied automatically.>>.

Back to "LinksAndTargets"...

8 - It would be helpful if it had a link to "/Std/Docu/Links".

9 - It would be helpful to give examples of the placeholder "<pathAndName>". I am particularly thinking about both absolute and relative path examples, and of showing that the file name extension is not always (not often ?) required.

I may have some more comments, but it is getting late!