issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Merged to the master branch

issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 7:05 pm

There is initial discussion in http://community.blackboxframework.org/viewtopic.php?f=49&t=143.

I intend to publish an implementation code proposal here, but that will take some days as I have other commitments.

I also wish to use this issue as an exercise in learning how to use our development tools, so I ask people (Josef, Ivan !) not to put these proposals into the repository, but to have patience in telling me how to do it when I ask for help.


On a technical note I agree that DevDependancies should be included.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Robert » Tue Oct 25, 2016 8:14 pm

Completely lost already. I am on step "0" on the "Bug fixing pipeline" page.

What is an ssh-key, and where do I get one? Do I need to download and install some variety of "Git" to my PC? Where do I type "git clone git@github.com:BlackBoxCenter/blackbox.git"; into my PC or a web page?
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Ivan Denisov » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:11 am

Robert wrote:Do I need to download and install some variety of "Git" to my PC?

https://git-scm.com/

Robert wrote:What is an ssh-key, and where do I get one?

https://help.github.com/articles/genera ... rm-windows

Robert wrote:Where do I type "git clone git@github.com:BlackBoxCenter/blackbox.git"; into my PC or a web page?

In Git console.
Ivan Denisov
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Russia

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Josef Templ » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:27 am

Robert wrote:Completely lost already. I am on step "0" on the "Bug fixing pipeline" page.

What is an ssh-key, and where do I get one? Do I need to download and install some variety of "Git" to my PC? Where do I type "git clone git@github.com:BlackBoxCenter/blackbox.git"; into my PC or a web page?


We went through all the steps with Doug.
Maybe he has kept some memo.

- Josef
User avatar
Josef Templ
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:50 am

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Robert » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Ivan Denisov wrote:
Robert wrote:What is an ssh-key, and where do I get one?

https://help.github.com/articles/genera ... rm-windows.

It says ...
Checking for existing SSH keys
Before you generate an SSH key, you can check to see if you have any existing SSH keys.
Generating a new SSH key and adding it to the ssh-agent
After you've checked for existing SSH keys, you can generate a new SSH key to use for authentication, then add it to the ssh-agent.

It says "I can generate ...". But it doesn't say how. Presumably I need to click on something, or type something somewhere ...

I have down-loaded and installed GIT. I have a new Start menu item "Git GUI".
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Ivan Denisov » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:06 am

Robert wrote:It says "I can generate ...". But it doesn't say how. Presumably I need to click on something, or type something somewhere ...

I have down-loaded and installed GIT. I have a new Start menu item "Git GUI".

https://help.github.com/articles/genera ... rm-windows
Ivan Denisov
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Russia

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Josef Templ » Thu Oct 27, 2016 9:18 am

Robert, if you work under Windows and if you want to do yourself a favour
use Tortoise Git as your client git tool. You get a powerful GUI based
git tool that is integrated nicely with the Windows Explorer.
I use it since several years and it works reliably.
I also know how to install a diff tool for BlackBox .odc files for this setup.
Without a diff tool, it is not easy to get productive.

Here is a little guide in our wiki: http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index.php?title=How_to_develop_with_Tortoise_Git

The other option is to use a command line version git tool, but this is more for the experts,
I would say. It is better for automation (scripting) but that's not really
required. The disadvantage is that you need to learn the git commands with the
many options. There are many other GUI based git tools but Tortoise Git is the "gold standard",
I would say.

- Josef
User avatar
Josef Templ
 
Posts: 2038
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 6:50 am

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Robert » Thu Oct 27, 2016 10:57 am

Josef Templ wrote:Robert, if you work under Windows and if you want to do yourself a favour
use Tortoise Git as your client ...

Thanks, I will try that (but not for a few days as I'm away).

PS - I did manage to create an SSH using Git GUI, but didn't get any further last night.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Robert » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:23 pm

Robert wrote:Thanks, I will try that (but not for a few days as I'm away).


A little bit of progress tonight; I'm adding clarifications (although maybe not correct clarifications) to page http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index ... rtoise_Git.

I'm currently stuck on "you have to create the branch first on github". The instructions on page http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index ... p_with_Git say "entering the new branch name into the "Find or create branch..." box", but I can't find this box. Is it on page https://github.com/BlackBoxCenter/blackbox, or where?

Also, should the tag (Media:Makebranch.png) be directly a picture, or are we meant to click on it to see it? This occurs on both the Git & Bug fixing pages.
User avatar
Robert
 
Posts: 1023
Joined: Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:04 am
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Postby Ivan Denisov » Wed Nov 02, 2016 1:28 am

Put name here.
Attachments
create.png
create.png (16.26 KiB) Viewed 9049 times
Ivan Denisov
 
Posts: 1698
Joined: Tue Sep 17, 2013 12:21 am
Location: Russia

Next

Return to Resolved (Features)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest

cron