issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Merged to the master branch
Robert

Re: issue-#140 Unwrapping IMPORT aliasses

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Put name here.
This image is similar, but not the same as, the one on the "How to develop with GIT" page. I can't find it either.

So now I have three questions:
- On which (internet) page is the first picture?
- On which page is the second picture?
- Which do I use?

I'm sure the answers will seem obvious in retrospect, but they are not in prospect!
Robert

Post by Robert »

I have just found a page called "Git", which I didn't know existed. Maybe the answers are all there. I'll look tonight.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

The GitHub changed interface a bit for two years... so the new image is actual.
This form is in the page https://github.com/BlackBoxCenter/blackbox
You need to click Branch: master button and it will appear.
Robert

Post by Robert »

The explanation says it is to the right of a green icon (that no longer exists). The image had me looking for a button with a 'bent fork' icon that no longer exists. It reminds me of the Dungeons puzzle console games the kids used to play before computer graphics became so amazingly good.

I was never any good at solving those puzzles either.

Now the kids ask me to help with their pure mathematics university assignments - much easier.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote: I'm currently stuck on "you have to create the branch first on github". The instructions on page http://wiki.blackboxframework.org/index ... p_with_Git say "entering the new branch name into the "Find or create branch..." box", but I can't find this box.
I have updated the wiki text to be in sync with the current GitHub layout.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:I have updated the wiki text to be in sync with the current GitHub layout.
Thanks.
I'm beginning to think I am making some significant progress. I have a cloned branch on my PC, and a batch file.

I have made a first change to Dev/Mod/Debug (I added a harmless comment!). The source file, and paths leading to it, have lost their green tick, and now have a red !
This seems hopeful.

However when I compile it I imagined I would get new Code (and possibly Sym) files in the Git directory. In fact the Code file in my working BlackBox installation was overwritten.
Is this correct - I don't want to / can't risk damaging my main installation (1.7 stable) with unproven experiments.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:
Josef Templ wrote:I have updated the wiki text to be in sync with the current GitHub layout.
Thanks.
I'm beginning to think I am making some significant progress. I have a cloned branch on my PC, and a batch file.

I have made a first change to Dev/Mod/Debug (I added a harmless comment!). The source file, and paths leading to it, have lost their green tick, and now have a red !
This seems hopeful.

However when I compile it I imagined I would get new Code (and possibly Sym) files in the Git directory. In fact the Code file in my working BlackBox installation was overwritten.
Is this correct - I don't want to / can't risk damaging my main installation (1.7 stable) with unproven experiments.
The red and green icons are helpful, but don't trust them blindly.
Sometimes the icon is not changed or it takes some time until it is changed.
This is similar to sync problems in the windows explorer and I think it is a bug in the Windows explorer
not in Tortoise Git.
A more reliable way to see the changes is to activate the commit or log dialog.

If you use the /USE option you get the changes in the /USE folder.
This has nothing to do with git or Tortoise Git,
it just happens that your /USE folder is a repository clone.
If you don't get the changes in the /USE folder you didn't specify the /USE option correctly.
If you get source file changes in the /USE folder but code changes in the startup folder then
I think it is time for filing a bug report, but I would be surprised.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:I think it is time for filing a bug report, but I would be surprised.
I use a Client/Server installation every day at work, so thought I knew what to expect. It uses an altered shortcut, not a batch file.
I have now set one up here with the following properties (my paths are a little different to the Wiki example):

Name: Git BlackBox
Target: D:\BlackBox\BlackBox.exe /Use D:\Git\blackbox#140_Unwrap
Start in: D:\Git\blackbox#140_Unwrap

It (very first impression) seems to work correctly.

My batch file, modelled on the wiki, is:
start /b D:\BlackBox\BlackBox.exe /USE
It does not work correctly. It seems to be missing anything corresponding to the /Use & Start in fields of the shortcut. Is the Wiki example correct? Have I misunderstood how to use it as a model? Is my batch file correct?

On a slightly different note: If I am using Tortoise Git are the instructions on the "Git" Wiki page irrelevant to me?
Last edited by Robert on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Robert

Post by Robert »

More progress.

I have made the (draft) code changes, committed locally, and pushed. (The last bit was hard as I did not have a record of my GIT password!)

You can see the diffs by going to:
Center Forum -> Redmine mirror -> Activity -> Today @ 9:27.

http://redmine.blackboxframework.org/pr ... 50a3/diff/

I don't have a nice coloured wiggly line on the "Repository" tab, which is a bit disappointing.
Robert

Post by Robert »

1 - This seemed to work last night.
2 - It is unfinished, there is some more tidying-up I plan to do.
3 - The build log complained - some investigation required.