issue-#136 Enlarge sizes of emebbeded views for About dialog

Ivan Denisov

Re: About Blackbox

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Robert wrote:Do we understand what caused this problem? Is it linked to "Use true type metric"?
The reason was that Windows scales fonts and they become bigger than the size of the view with that text which is embedded into About dialog. That does not related with true type metrics.
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:The reason was that Windows scales fonts ...
I'm not saying this explanation is wrong, but, for me, it is incomplete. Are some fonts scaled more than others - the relative lengths of the two strings has changed - and why does this problem affect Helmut and not me?

I am concerned that a Document written on one computer will look different on another - unless one uses .pdf.
Zinn

Re: issue-#136 Enlarge sizes of emebbeded views for About di

Post by Zinn »

Ivan's analysis is correct completely. It doesn't matter which font we are using.
The problem is independent of operating system. I have this problem in Windows and in Linux too.
Sorry Robert, you are wrong. I have the same kind of problem also with pdf files and with other programs too.
You need 2 physical computers with the same programs to find this kind of problems.
New operating system works better, but windows and forms are increasing less than fonts.
Old operating system are more worse. They don't display some lines randomly.
- Helmut
Last edited by Zinn on Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:07 am, edited 2 times in total.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Robert wrote:
Josef Templ wrote:Looks good now.
Do we understand what caused this problem? Is it linked to "Use true type metric"?
Should true type be the default (I always use it)? In fact, do we want (or need) the non true type option? Having this option only allows the possibility of writing Documents that are (slightly) incompatible from user A to user B; it confers no advantage that I am aware of.
Host/Docu/Prefs has the answer.
"Use true type metric: Use TrueType metrics for calculating the width of a text string. This provides for best printing results but comes with a lower quality of texts displayed on the screen."

The display quality is in fact different. True Type metrics use more space.

- Josef
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Zinn wrote:Ivan's analysis is correct completely. It doesn't matter which font we are using.
The problem is independent of operating system. I have this problem in Windows and in Linux too.
Sorry Robert, you are wrong. I have the same kind of problem also with pdf files and with other programs too.
You need 2 physical computers with the same programs to find this kind of problems.
New operating system works better, but windows and forms are increasing less than fonts.
Old operating system are more worse. They don't display same lines randomly.
- Helmut
Why do you have this problem, Helmut, but I don't have it under Windows 10?
For me the About dialog is just perfect. Did you do some settings in the
Windows preferences that affect the DPI or font size or something like that.

It would really be interesting to understand what is going on here.
Otherwise we may run into many such scaling problems in the future.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Josef, in my VirtualBox windows I can not see this problem, however Alexander Shiryaev shows me on his PC that the problem exists. I do not know why but in large displays Windows have another algorithm of scaling. This is strange, but true.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Ivan Denisov wrote:Josef, in my VirtualBox windows I can not see this problem, however Alexander Shiryaev shows me on his PC that the problem exists. I do not know why but in large displays Windows have another algorithm of scaling. This is strange, but true.
The problem exists without any doubt.
The question is what causes the problem.
Is it a wild guess that Windows uses different algorithms of scaling for different types of displays
or is this for sure. Is this behavior documented somewhere?

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:The display quality is in fact different. True Type metrics use more space.
Maybe usually, but not always.
I have examples where I have a Text (comprising both strings and embedded fixed size Views) in a fixed sized View, where switching off True Type means that my content is no longer fully visible. This seems to be more of an increased height than increased width effect.

When I send people copies of these Documents I have to tell them to turn on True Type, which is why I am suggesting this option in preferences is possibly an unnecessary and undesirable mode.

(Its not a big issue for me, as I usually resort to .pdfs, but then the embedded Views become passive.)
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

In the About dialog, does it make a difference if the True Type option is
activated? On my display it shifts the text slightly, maybe 1 pixel but
everything is still visible.
On the big displays mentioned by Ivan, does it make a difference there?

My tests further show that the True Type option causes "intra-word spacing".
This is probably the reason why this option exists at all and is not the default:
Type in a word without any spaces and watch the display of the characters to the left of the cursor.
Some characters are shifted by a pixel.

- Josef
Robert

Post by Robert »

Josef Templ wrote:... does it make a difference if the True Type option is
activated? On my display it shifts the text slightly, maybe 1 pixel ...
I don't know what is going on, but I have been suspicious that the True Type option interacts significantly with the line spacing options in Rulers. These options also seem to be rather mysterious. I have never really tried to understand them; I just do some trial and error until the spacing is suitable, which usually means leaving both numbers at zero.

(It would be nice to have a "?" icon on the Ruler to give immediate access to its Docu file. Actually the Docu is more of a "Programmer's Reference" rather than a "User" Manual, which would be more useful here.)

I have also noticed (I think) that changing the color of part of a word sometimes causes this 1 pixel shift of some letters.