issue#-187 adding a run-time debugger to BlackBox

Should we incorporate these changes into the master?

Yes
100%
No
No votes
Abstain
No votes

Total votes: 7

Josef Templ

issue#-187 adding a run-time debugger to BlackBox

Post by Josef Templ »

This is a voting for adding a run-time debugger to BlackBox.

I am aware of the fact that a run-time debugger is rarely needed in BlackBox and that purists may even find it evil.
On the other side ominc developed one at least for internal use and ETH Oberon A2 also has one.
This shows that there are situations where a run-time debugger may actually be useful.

It could be argued that a run-time debugger should be provided as a CPC package. The problem is that the
consistency between the internal run-time data structures of BlackBox and the debugger cannot be guaranteed then.
The slightest change in BlackBox internals will break the debugger. The integration into the distribution
avoids this kind of inconsistencies.

Another argument is more marketing related.
Many people think that an IDE without a run-time debugger cannot be taken serious,
simply because they are used to it.

The proposed run-time debugger is based on the ominc version that has been ported to BlackBox 1.7 by X512, Ivan, etc.
I have adapted it to make it easier to use, localizable, documented, synchronized the changes with DevDebug in BlackBox 1.7.1 etc.
Nevertheless it is still a simple debugger consisting of 2 modules, one for attaching a debugger to the running BlackBox instance (DevDebugCmds)
and one for the run-time debugger (DevRTDebug). None of those modules is loaded unless it is really used, i.e. there is no
overhead involved and there are no incompatibilities introduced.

A test version is available from http://blackboxframework.org/unstable/i ... 1.1030.zip.

For the diffs see https://redmine.blackboxframework.org/p ... a4d9f1453b.

Gentlemen, please cast your vote or let me know if you think we need more discussion on this issue.

- Josef
Bernhard

Re: issue#-187 adding a run-time debugger to BlackBox

Post by Bernhard »

Just a side note:

Dev/Docu/RTDebug-Dialog.odc should be mentioned in Dev/Docu/Sys-Map.odc

-
Bernhard
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Bernhard wrote:Just a side note:

Dev/Docu/RTDebug-Dialog.odc should be mentioned in Dev/Docu/Sys-Map.odc

-
Bernhard
Thanks for the hint.
Following the established convention, actually the modules DevDebugCmds
and DevRTDebug should be added to Dev/Docu/Sys-Map.odc.
Docu for dialogs is not listed in any Sys-Map, as far as I have seen.
I have added the modules.

- Josef
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

and yet another note:

I think the following text in DevDebugCmds:

The run-time debugger is another BlackBox process that is started with the command-line option /LOAD DevRTDebug.

should be replaced with:

The run-time debugger is a second BlackBox process with the command-line option "/LOAD DevRTDebug", which is automatically started when a command/module name is selected and Debug Command/Module is chosen from menu Dev,
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Bernhard wrote:and yet another note:

I think the following text in DevDebugCmds:

The run-time debugger is another BlackBox process that is started with the command-line option /LOAD DevRTDebug.

should be replaced with:

The run-time debugger is a second BlackBox process with the command-line option "/LOAD DevRTDebug", which is automatically started when a command/module name is selected and Debug Command/Module is chosen from menu Dev,
Thanks. I will add this. In the meantime I have extended the text a bit and the wording would be like this:

"This module provides an interface for attaching a run-time debugger to the running BlackBox instance. Debugging with a run-time debugger involves two processes, (1) the process being debugged, i.e. the running BlackBox instance, and (2) the debugger process. The debugger process is another BlackBox instance that is automatically started when one of the menu commands Dev->Debug Command or Dev->Debug Module is executed and no debugger is currently attached."

- Josef
Bernhard

Post by Bernhard »

excellent, I was bit puzzled how to start the RT-Debugger.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Merged to master.