issue-#129 command for generating a compile list

Shall we merge the extensions added by issue-#129?

YES
67%
NO
11%
ABSTAIN
22%

Total votes: 9

Josef Templ

issue-#129 command for generating a compile list

Post by Josef Templ »

On behalf of Doug I have created this voting for merging the changes of issue-#129.

This issue adds a feature that is considered helpful for migration from 1.6 to 1.7 because all sources must be recompiled.
Instead of recommending an external tool (ypkDevTool, list of problems) it would allow us to recommend a tool included with BlackBox.
In addition, it is also expected to be convenient for everyday programming, not only for migration.

See the diffs at http://redmine.blackboxframework.org/pr ... c73e8746c7.

- Josef
Last edited by Josef Templ on Mon Sep 12, 2016 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
luowy

Re: issue-#129 command for generating a compile list

Post by luowy »

the reason I have said in the discussion list,it need more time to test and improve.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

I also have a question on how to list all subsystem NOT in the framework. Ivan said he could do it but what is the syntax? Again, I don't want to specify all of the subsystems individually but want something like MakeList *
Doug
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

DGDanforth wrote:I also have a question on how to list all subsystem NOT in the framework. Ivan said he could do it but what is the syntax? Again, I don't want to specify all of the subsystems individually but want something like MakeList *
Doug
Technically, there is no difference between a subsystem within the framework and a subsystem not within the framework.
So this requirement is hard to cope with. The ypkDevTool also did not have this feature.
If it becomes clear what the requirements are and if they can be implemented we can of course add this in 1.7.1.
Compared to 1.6 the current solution is a clear step forward and any additional requirement should not keep us from
making a step forward, I believe.

I can imagine an extended Repository tool that keeps track of installed extensions and allows to install/uninstall, activate/deactivate, build/rebuild individually or all at once. But it goes a bit beyond our current issue.
It is important to note that such a tool would also be based on the MakeList infrastructure, so there is no contradiction with future requirements.

- Josef
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

luowy wrote:the reason I have said in the discussion list,it need more time to test and improve.
OK, let us keep the voting open for several days even if there is a decision earlier.
We all are very interested in finding bugs and improvements before we merge to master.
So, please let us know if you find any errors or significant improvements.

- Josef
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

DGDanforth wrote:I also have a question on how to list all subsystem NOT in the framework. Ivan said he could do it but what is the syntax? Again, I don't want to specify all of the subsystems individually but want something like MakeList *
Doug
Doug, it would be possible with little additional effort to hard-code the list of
well-known subsystems (the subsystems included with the distribution) and to define '+' as all
extensions to the base system and '*' as all subsystems.
I will look into that.

- Josef
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Josef Templ wrote:
Doug
Doug, it would be possible with little additional effort to hard-code the list of
well-known subsystems (the subsystems included with the distribution) and to define '+' as all
extensions to the base system and '*' as all subsystems.
I will look into that.

- Josef
This whole discussion started from the premises of migrating from, say, 1.6 to 1.7. For that case there is no need to recompile the framework, one only needs to recompile their personal modules. I have about 8,000 such modules (or did before my system crashed). Hence the requirement of a "+" option.
Doug
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

I have merged this to master.

Doug, I hope that the current version will be helpful in your case as well.
If not, I can only offer to refine it later.

- Josef