What is the "center"

valexey

Re: What is the "center"

Post by valexey »

ReneK wrote:Dear Alexey,

as of now you are not yet a center member. It is due to Ivan's unwillingness to wait for proper procedures that you are already on the center forums, and there has already been some objection to that (not objection to you personally, but objection to Ivan "deciding" that you have access to the center only forums without being properly voted upon!).

I would ask you to abstain from posting on the center forums until this is solved.

Thanks
Rene
ok, I'll wait.
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Thank you for your patience.
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

Ivan,

did you read the links I sent? Can you agree that some measures of marketing are necessary to have a successful opensource community project?

Chris Burrows mentioned the following as a first important step in producing a new release of BB:
cfbsoftware wrote:1. Fix all known, reproducible, bugs. I don't believe there are many...
And I think that everybody can agree that this is a central "job" of the "center".

Can we do this while we build up the center and write our white paper (and in return probably get the knack on how we as a team can collaborate, and what we do and what we don't do? If so, we should probably open a new forum with the title "Release", with a sub-forum called "BB 1.66" (since the release candidate 6 was never published as a final release), and there discuss: What open bugs do we know, who has a solution for them, who is working on those we have no solution for so far, exchange ideas on how to fix them and so on. And when there finally is something ready, we can give it out to the wider community for Beta-Testing. Do you think this is a workable approach?

Nevertheless, I believe we all agree that:
  • Defining what is the system we start from (I think the definition of what the Framework in question encompasses done by OberonCore is quite useful)
    Gathering information about bugs and problems of the system at hand right now
    Identifiying solutions already proposed by others or solving the bugs
    Publishing new releases
Are central "jobs" of the center. Thoughts?
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Rene, I have read a part of your links. I am not sure that "marketing" is good word for open-source. We can not sell something now. So this word gives not right intonations. The "promotion" is good. I agree that the promotion for our project is necessary. The BlackBox promotion has it's own specific. The good examples should be collected and we first need to make promotion of new "center" ideas inside Oberon Community. That is why important to have stable release from new "center". One of the paper said that the releases should goes fast. I do not enjoy the delay with a first release we have.

And answering the second part of yours question. Yes, Chris B. (cfbsoftware) is right, we need to make first stable version. I do not agree with Peter K. that we need to wait for Ominc 1.6 version. All known bugs and bug fixes we tried to collect in Redmine with volunteers: http://redmine.molpit.com/projects/bbcb/issues

This bug fixes includes great work done by OberonCore. All the changes you will find in revisions: http://redmine.molpit.com/projects/bbcb ... /revisions
OberonCore

Post by OberonCore »

ReneK wrote: Nevertheless, I believe we all agree that:
  • Defining what is the system we start from (I think the definition of what the Framework in question encompasses done by OberonCore is quite useful)
    Gathering information about bugs and problems of the system at hand right now
    Identifiying solutions already proposed by others or solving the bugs
    Publishing new releases
Are central "jobs" of the center. Thoughts?
Totally agree. Because this is already defined for OberonCore assembly ("Main forum" there to see the list of potencial corrections collected).
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

OberonCore,
That link was what I referred to. Thanks for adding it here.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I have translated OberonCore comments from OberonCore assembly to English and apply one by one to the initial BB1.6rc6 in git repository here: http://redmine.molpit.com/projects/bbcb ... /revisions

For example: typo 'minute' instead of 'hour' in StdStamps.GetData (20110613, TemirgaleevEE, B15)
the diff of the source code is very comfortable to observe here.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Dear "center" members,

can you add you ideas about center here, please. Then we can shape this with a discussion here.

Is difficult to discuss the Rules without any draft. I have tried to add their some solutions we already decide, but I can be wrong, please fix me if I am not right.
ReneK

Post by ReneK »

For those who do not want to switch to yet another technical solution, I added the following thread http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... ?f=10&t=29 which contains the text Ivan proposed in his private Wiki (since the center has not made a request OR a decision about a Wiki, it is currently Ivan's and not the "center"'s).
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

ReneK wrote:For those who do not want to switch to yet another technical solution, I added the following thread http://forum.blackboxframework.org/view ... ?f=10&t=29 which contains the text Ivan proposed in his private Wiki (since the center has not made a request OR a decision about a Wiki, it is currently Ivan's and not the "center"'s).
Thanks, you are suggesting good option! Any can choose most comfortable way, but we will have some draft in total.