8pt vs 9pt vs 10pt Arial

Which font size do you prefer for the default Arial font?

8pt
No votes
9pt
29%
10pt
71%

Total votes: 7

Ivan Denisov

Re: 8pt vs 9pt vs 10pt Arial

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I understand you argument about sources code size. Actually that is uncomfortable that we have Default font for sources, but have no default font size for sources. I prefer if sources open with default size.

Josef, I do not want we harry up with that feature. Do you think that we should make the poll out of the Center board for more people can participate? I can make the poll in the Russian board to hear more voices.
Josef Templ

Post by Josef Templ »

Ivan Denisov wrote:I understand you argument about sources code size. Actually that is uncomfortable that we have Default font for sources, but have no default font size for sources. I prefer if sources open with default size.

Josef, I do not want we harry up with that feature. Do you think that we should make the poll out of the Center board for more people can participate? I can make the poll in the Russian board to hear more voices.
To me this is a question that goes beyond personal preferences.
I have set my default font size to 9pt because the sources are in 9pt.
I am not arguing for 9pt because I am using it as default.

The 9pt for the sources have been selected by ominc for good reasons, I think.
It is perfectly readable on most displays and it reduces the need for scrolling.
This is carefully balanced. If it is not readable there is something wrong in your
Windows DPI setting or you need better glasses.
Also the fact that texts don't store a flag for the default font size but store its size explicitly has a good reason.
It is the formatting problem that arise when you select a larger default font.
You get a number of unintended line breaks and then the sources are really ugly to read.
Changing this behavior is tempting, but besides technical complications it
would introduce the formatting problem and therefore it is not worth considering.

Ivan, would you have raised this discussion if the defaults were set to 9pt?
Probably not.

- Josef
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I think, that this impression is subjective. I tried to find some arguments for you, showed screenshots etc., however then understood that this should be the choice of people. I think that 10pt is better choice, because it is easier to start with 10pt. Every can later switch to 9pt if he want, but the first impression will be positive. Many people think that all the programming should be with monospaced fonts, because there are easier to read... when they open BlackBox also have a problem. There is no highlighting and the font is not monospaced. 10pt will be better to start programming.
cfbsoftware

Post by cfbsoftware »

Ivan Denisov wrote:then understood that this should be the choice of people.
Absolutely - and everybody will have a different preference. If you try to make the choice for them, for every user that you please there will be another who you displease. As I said previously, if it is really that important an issue, prompt the user as part of the installation process so that they can select which font, size etc. they prefer, with one of the options to use the existing default value (for backward compatibility).
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

I suggest to make First Start document with short instruction how customize BlackBox for your self.
There should be checkbox with "open memo at the next run". This will allow also to setup TypeFace not only the size.

What do you think?
Robert

Post by Robert »

Ivan Denisov wrote:I suggest to make First Start document with short instruction how customize BlackBox for your self.
What do you think?
We need to see the details of course, but it sounds like a good idea to me.
DGDanforth

Post by DGDanforth »

Discussion of /USE option should be included.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

Zinn wrote:
Ivan Denisov wrote:Helmut, did you vote here?
I understand that increasing document default will produce some trouble for our programming members.
Definitely there will be no problem for old members. Because all the old members know where to change this settings! The problem only for new members now.
Ivan Denisov

Post by Ivan Denisov »

DGDanforth wrote:Discussion of /USE option should be included.
Agree!